Sunday, August 31, 2008

Small Victory!

We(or rather, I) have been really pushing the county to add Andrew to Collin's respite hours. Andrew is supposed to qualify, just based on his speech delay & getting approved for speech therapy. With respite hours, Tom & I get a break from Collin and get reimbursed by the county what we paid the babysitter. Only catch is the babysitter has to be at least 18 yrs old & have a SS #. Currently we have 18 hours per month for Collin.

The people who determine services said no about combining hours for the boys, and when I met w/Collin's service coordinator a couple weeks ago, she said they(she & Andrew's coordinator) weren't even going to try to ask again until October. That wasn't acceptable and I tried to figure out what options we had. As a last resort, I asked if I could get hours for Andrew, separate from Collin's. It means I'd have to pay the babysitter twice, but I know I need those hours once Tom's gone in a month & a half.

When we got back from our trip, I got a phone message from Andrew's service coordinator. She was supposed to call before we left. Andrew has his own hours now, 12 per month. I totally credit this to part of the Father's blessing I got from my dad on Friday night.

No comments: