Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Andrew again

I found out last week from his speech therapist, that there was the possibility that Andrew's language has improved so much within the past 2 months that he may not qualify for services from Regional Center. Honestly, the thought had never entered my mind.

As of yesterday, it looks like Andrew has gone from 37% delay to 12-25% delay. Regional Center won't give services unless there is a 33%+ delay. So, we have at least next week, but I'm not sure past that. The speech therapist still recommended another month or two of therapy because Andrew still needs it, but at this point it seems highly doubtful as there is no state budget in place. No budget=no services. Not sure what I'm going to do. The school district won't pick him up for services for 9 months.

Also, regarding Andrew, anybody know how I can get him to stop biting other children? It doesn't happen very often, but I'd say 99.9% of the time, somebody else is the instigator(taking a toy away that he's playing with, getting in his personal space, etc.). A lot of this stems from he can't tell others to back up, leave him alone, or give him his toy/turn. In any case, he's broken skin twice, and bit someone on the cheek a couple days ago. It really bugs me that I find out at the end of church, instead of right after it happens. Another thing that really bugs me is hearing about how somebody's kids didn't start talking until after they were 2 or 3 years old. That is just not normal!! I do have aspirations & goals for both boys.

1 comment:

EvaMarieva said...

Oh that has to be frustrating but then also great news too. I myself was in spech therapy for years and I know it was hard for my mom at times. Hang in there and we are here to help in any way we can.