Saturday, February 11, 2012

Ramblings

Had our meeting Thursday. It's been decided that we're on a 3 month trial period with the therapy company we don't like. If they can't get their act together in that time-frame, then we can change providers with the county's approval. I hate all these hoops they make us jump through.

Other news: I started using a free app recommended to me by a younger sister, called MyFitnessPal. It mostly tracks calories and even has a cool barcode scanner on it. You can also track workouts in it, and it will figure out how many calories you burn for cardio. It gives me a daily calorie allotment based off my current weight, my goal and my activity level. It also has a weight tracker on it. I input mine daily because that's just a habit of mine, for better or worse. Anyway, since last Thursday I've lost 5 lbs. Unless I pulled out some sort of miracle--I'll know in about 5-10 minutes while I look up nutrition info online, I'm likely to need to workout tonight for going to a Chinese New Year fundraiser dinner. Was really hoping Brent would still be sick tonight so I could get out of it, but it didn't work out that way. :( Don't think we'll be going next year, as we recently found out how much Tom's mom paid per each of us--and she doesn't really have that kind of money to be throwing around.

Today I've been doing some much needed purging in the living room. It's a constant battle with kids. Just today alone, we've already donated 2 big bags & a diaper box full of books and thrown away a full trash bag! I'm playing around with rearranging furniture too. Months ago, I decided to measure our room, since we have some funky wall spaces due to doorways into the living room, the big sliding door to the backyard, the fireplace & the bay window that drives me nuts that it's not lower and able to use as seating or storage like I've seen. Here's how it is tonight.

I moved the shelf on the right(with the red & black can at the top) over  from across the room for a corner bookcase look. I'd like to replace the other two bookshelves with the Billy bookcase from Ikea--a 31.5" & probably the 15.75" wide. I'll figure out something different for the shoes, since we have a LOT of books in the boys' room too.

Hard to see it, but we moved a shorter white bookshelf(with doors) next to the toy shelfing thing on the left of the picture. I also moved our pictures I got for the boys of 3 temples(Newport Beach, Los Angeles, and San Diego). Ivy has one too--Kona Hawaii, but that's in her own room.


What I still need to tweak is a smaller couch so it will fit in the space between the two doorways. Thinking of this: Klippan from Ikea(my favorite store!) since it will fit without us having to constantly push the edges to get thru like we do now. Plus, still long enough for when we have overnight visiting family.

Also need to figure out computer desk area so the desk is narrower but still with storage--including for the all-in-one fax/printer/copier, and move the two short file cabinets so they're stacked on each other and by the other file cabinets by the fireplace. I also need to figure out DVD case storage if I want to have all the discs in their cases or exclusively use one of those big cd/dvd books/holders, as well as storage for the cds we have since so much of music is digital these days.

1 comment:

gardenpat said...

Great job!!!! I love all the creative things you're doing to use the space efficiently (but comfortable and nice too!!)