Monday, December 31, 2012
Collin's baptism
August 11, 2012: Today has finally come! I can't believe it. Nearly 5 years ago, we didn't even know if this was a day that would be in Collin's future. Funny how the future seems so uncertain sometimes. A couple months back, we met with the bishop who wanted to see our thoughts (no matter that I had put it on the stake calendar 6 months ago to make sure we would have the building to ourselves) about Collin's getting baptized. I guess there is a technicality that he doesn't have to get baptized because of his not being accountable due to his autism mentally puts him at less than or around a 6 year old at this point.
Last year, though, at a friend's baptism(which we didn't stay long at because it was me vs. the 4 kids on my own and it was not a good day for 2 of them), after his friend came out of the water, Collin said "My turn is next." He has been consistent about that for the baptisms he has since attended.
So, we've been focusing a lot the past couple months about 1)What are the promises I make at baptism (got the book at Deseret Book), 2) How does the Holy Ghost make me feel? (another book from Deseret book), 3) practicing going under the water at a pool(just trying to get logistics down for him, not being sacrilegious), and 4)went to a baptism a week before his so he could see, and once we were home then a verbal schedule/breakdown of what would happen. He LOVES his schedules.
One of my sisters, her husband, and their little girl came down from northern CA to see us. We got a little late start waiting for some family that lived closer than my sister. I wasn't sure what to really expect with Collin, so we kept it rather small and only had told a few people at church before. He did surprise me by doing pretty well. It only took 1 time to go under the water. I had feared that because of swimming lessons this summer, that he would treat the baptismal font as a swimming pool. While he was getting changed and dried off, we had everyone write Collin a message or draw him a picture. I have those all saved, and will at some point be scanning them in and turning it into a book for him.
Collin picked the songs, Choose the Right as the first song, and I Am A Child of God for the closing. The closing made me start bawling when we got to the second verse about "and so my needs are great" and "help me to understand His words before it grows too late."
I have to say, even though it was started a little later than planned, we were done with the closing prayer about 30 minutes later. That was hands down the fastest baptism I have ever been to in my whole life. I had the second talk, on the Holy Ghost, and when I saw Collin get antsy, I just cut it short.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment