Sunday, June 28, 2009

A New Tradition

I am taking this idea off a downloaded epsiode of Tim Gunn's Guide to Style(downloaded, as we have local stations & pbs only on our tv--we both think that cable isn't worth it to us yet, as it'd be more channels and not that much more on we'd like to see).

As a little background, in this particular episode, a mom with 2 kids, a teaching job, and soon a new part-time job is getting the makeover. They sent her to a life-coach(?) type person to teach her an important object lesson involving a weighted vest being compared to the weight of guilt of doing things for & spending time on ourselves as mothers. The things she liked doing and felt guilty about spending time doing were written down on tags and then tied to the weights in the vest. She walked around a little to feel how the guilt was weighing her down. Towards the end of this scene, the tags were cut off the weights, and the vest removed. The tags were then placed in a clear jar and she was to pull one thing out a week, month, however often to "indulge" herself in.

Anyway, I will be starting up a similar thing in our home very soon. I frequently don't have that much time to myself. When I do, most of what I'd rather be doing gets put on the back-burner, and I've been feeling a little burned out lately(pun intended). Tom & I have both agreed it'll definitely be a good thing for me to get more "me" time.

1 comment:

Lam said...

I'm glad to read this! You deserve it--you are a fabulous mom and wife and definitely need a little time to yourself to indulge in whatever makes you feel good so that you can be your best when you return to the family.