Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Collin



Another huge new thing Collin is doing: following 1 step directions. This is anything from "put it in the trash", "put shoes on the shelf", and "give the cup to [Ivy or Andrew]". This skill is rated on the 12-18 month range on a developmental chart we have on our fridge.

Tonight, Collin went thru a little ritual we have with a couple toys of his. The first toy is a tractor (complete w/4 animals, and a farmer), and the other toy is a big ambulance(I got it for his 1st or 2nd birthday). Anyway, one of the doors on the back of the ambulance has broken off. Collin has a habit of putting his other toys in the ambulance and making them "go fast" or "go slow"--two phrases he's just picked up from therapy in the past few months. I got him to finally engage in a sort of pretend play(still a foreign concept to Collin). I gathered up all the animals and picked one up. A chicken. I asked Collin if the chicken should "drive the the tractor" or "ride in his carseat"?*there are no real carseats for the animals, there are however specifics spots where the animals go in the tractor, and when you push the animals down, they push a button w/the appropriate animal sound* Collin's response was "put in carseeeat". Sometimes, to be silly, I make the animal drive and "go fast" in a circle till they fall out(there's a special spot that makes only the farmer stay in place in the driver's seat w/out falling out), and then get Collin to put the animal in the correct spot in the tractor.




No comments: