| Collin & the two boys on the left are from his classes at school |
Collin just started up baseball on Saturday, the 3rd. I think he likes it so far. There are 3 other kids on his team from school. It was a rather long morning. We had to get to the baseball field by 8:15 for pictures at 8:30. Back up to 7:30. The alarm goes off & all of a sudden I remember he needs a glove. I've known about it for 2 weeks, but obviously wasn't high on my to-do list. Get Collin fed & rush over to Target as soon as they open and rush across town, getting there 5-10 minutes after we were told to be there. Only to find out at the field, we got the wrong handed glove at Target. Apparently if you're right handed you need a glove to go on the left hand.
Pictures didn't end up happening till 9 am--the time the game was supposed to start. Never mind the fact the we had meltdown city since the basketball court we were taking pictures by happened to be right next to other playground equipment. I had, in hindsight, made a mistake asking him to wait till after baseball was over (a little after 10) to play. Luckily, I had our handy dandy iPod(charged! thank goodness), and a new free app called "Where's my Water?" kept him occupied till the group photo. Individuals were done first & Collin's will be an action shot since he couldn't hold the bat still & hold still at the same time, so the bat was swinging. Luckily, the camera-man worked with it and got a usable shot. Let me say, for the record, thank goodness he was one of the shorter kids & was able to sit down for the group pictures.
I did a LOT of carrying him since we were at the furthest away field from pictures. Seriously, this is why I hardly do a dedicated arm workout. Along the same lines, probably why my lower back gets thrown out a lot.
Collin liked the dugout, though it was extremely difficult to stay sitting on the bench. He did a good job with one of the assistant coaches helping him on the field. So I walked over to the bleachers to sit with a few of the other parents. After about 5 minutes of warm-up while we waited for the other team, he decided he was done. So I helped him play the field & helped him know where to run, since it was his first time playing. He did have issues with the padding in the helmet where he was trying to rip it out. I hope it's not as big of a deal to him next time. They give all 14 players(per team) a chance to hit once, no matter how long it takes, and everyone gets to catch the ball once. We only played 1 time of being on the field and 1 time hitting, and then it was all done since we got a late start. It's nice that it's free. One of the perks of being a special ed team. And that nobody's keeping score. I'm sure we'd break a lot of the traditional rules, but the kids seem to have a mostly good time.
No comments:
Post a Comment