Saturday, January 3, 2009

"Honest Scrap tag"

Looks like I've been tagged again.

"A) First list 10 honest things about yourself - and make it interesting, even if you have to dig deep!

B) Pass the award on to 7 bloggers that you feel embody the spirit of the Honest Scrap"

Hmm...not that much interesting(in my opinion), but I'll try. You'll find that these are pretty random things. And yes Lam, I did have to dig deep on some of these.


1. With Collin getting his at-home therapy the past year and a half, I've learned to not beat around the bush(as much) when talking w/others about anything. One of the parent trainers I had said about 90% of conversation is fluff and for kids like Collin, you have to be clear & concise. I was reminded about this a couple weeks ago when I stayed up late to watch "Must Love Dogs" by myself (if you've seen the movie, you'll know what I'm talking about)


2. When I was much, much younger(pre-teen)..I thought it'd be cool to have twins someday(a girl & boy). After having Ivy, I quickly changed my mind..LOL


3. Speaking of Ivy, when we first found out we were expecting, Tom frequently teased me we'd have septuplets(I had been on fertility drugs).


4. I've always had a keen eye for aesthetics. I can tell what colors/objects look good together pretty quickly(hence the change in the blog background)


5. Along those lines, I'm pretty artistic..pencil & charcoals are my favorite mediums. Haven't used them much since Ivy's been born(paranoid the kids will make a mess of it), but have branched out into other mediums/skills since then(basic sewing, cross-stitch, painting jungle animals on the boys' bedroom wall, recently jewelry making).


6. I get really paranoid at the night sounds of the house. No kidding, when we first moved into our house, the water heater sounded like footsteps. Still does.


7. I like lots of blankets on me when I sleep (all year long, even summer!) Good thing Tom is the opposite, he says I'm a cover hog. (I am)


8. When I was a kid, all I wanted when I grew up was to not be forgotten. This is for 2 reasons. First, I got left behind once at church when I was really little(my parents had 2 cars at the time & thought the other parent had me..nope, didn't know I was gone till someone brought me home). And second, just with so many siblings(6 sisters, 4 brothers) there's no way to give attention to everyone equally--part of why I didn't/don't want a lot of kids.


9. When I was 7 or so we lived up by the Big Bear mountains, and my mom had me & one of my brothers(1 1/2 yr younger) go to summer school at the elementary school--now that I think about it, probably to keep her sanity & keep us busy. Anyway, I just remember one day the bus was REALLY late for coming after the day was done. I told my brother, if the bus doesn't come in 5 more minutes, we'll walk home. 5 minutes came and went. No bus. We started walking. On our way out of the long driveway to the school, we saw the school bus but kept walking anyway. It was at least a couple miles to our house(didn't know that at the time or even how far a mile was). Somebody saw us walking on the side of the road & took us home. My mom freaked out, since one of my sisters was supposed to pick us up at the bus stop & we weren't there. After that, we never went to summer school again.


10. Not any new revelation to most people, but I have a hard time opening up to people. You may not, however know the reason(s) why. I second guess myself all the time, especially in social situations...I never finished past 1 1/2 yrs of college so I don't feel educated enough to be on par with others or like I have anything interesting to say. I think myself to be quite boring. I also have major trust issues, after being abused when I was younger. I think my being so quiet is a defense mechanism.

I tag: Sabrina, Natalie, Jenn(after she's done moving & settling in), Melody, Autumn, Bylle, Anita, and Tom(if you want to do this, just go to New Post in the upper corner).

4 comments:

EvaMarieva said...

I love learning more about you. I am bummed that I never took the time to find out how artistic you are those years ago! If you ever want to just paint we set up a garage studio and you are more than wecome to take advantage of it.

Lam said...

Oh my gosh, Mindy! I'm going to have to echo those sentiments about how neat it is to find out more about you. There is just so much depth to you and when you peel back the layers, I'm always surprised and impressed.

Do you have any of your old work available? Maybe you could post some photos? I know this blog is mostly about the kids, but they are greatly shaped by their mother and she was shaped by her own experiences (so I'd love to see them!). Plus, it will be so cool for them, when they're older, to review this blog and learn that you were your very own person with hobbies and interests before you became their mother.

Oh, and I find you very interesting and very bright!

Sabrina O'Malley said...

I really enjoyed reading your 10 comments. Thanks for tagging me, it sounds like fun. I guess I better start thinking of something interesting.

How Did Our Oil Get Under Their Sand? said...

I'm glad that I was included in your list of bloggers. Even after having been married to you for 8+ years, I learn new things about you from reading your blogs.

Your experience of being left behind seems to have an effect on your personality, even now. Don't worry. You're not forgotten. My life revolves around you. I think about you, and I pray for you, everyday. I can't wait to see you again.

There are a lot of people out there who don't have college degrees. There are also people who have college degrees, but have nothing intelligent to say. Don't let this keep you from socializing. I can't offer much more advice than that, given that I'm not all that socially adept, myself. However, I'm always interested in hearing about what you have to say. I appreciate it when you listen to me, too.